The Water Mill, Mortimer's Cross

There has probably been a mill at Mortimer's Cross since the 15th century when, during the Battle of Mortimer's Cross (1461) troops of Edward Earl of March retreated over a weir to the north of the crossroads.

Although weirs were used to trap fish the majority of weirs on the River Lugg were associated with mills.

At least two mills operated below the weir at Mortimer's Cross; a paper mill and a corn mill. The only existing mill building is a small post-medieval corn mill that survives in a complete and working state.

 
Lucton tithe map showing the mill

 

the gears of the sluice gate
.
.
The water wheel.
.
.

3d model of the penstock gate, sluice and water wheel created from site drawings by our CAD manager Simon

We were commissioned to carry out a detailed drawn and photographic survey of the affected sluices to inform the design for the repair and replacement of the timbers and the refitting of fixtures and sluice machinery.

The present mill was originally part of the Croft Castle Estate and was owned by the Kevill-Davies family between 1885 and 1923. The mill produced paper at least until 1830  when the paper maker was one John Wade. Sometime after this it was converted into a corn mill and up to the 1940s continued in commercial use, grinding animal feed.

The weir - used to direct river flow down the leat to the mill

In 2007 floods on the river damaged two of the three sluice gates that control the flow of water into the mill leat while the third gate was left to bear the full brunt of the water flow. Because of the damage to the gates a schedule of works was established by English Heritage for their repair.

 

Rear elevation of sluice gate